AAUW Greater Naples Branch Served another 250 Local 5th-Grade Girls through its 26th Annual STEAM Girls Count Program in 2023!
Once again, STEAM Program Chair Charmaine Klein led the wonderful women of the AAUW Greater Naples Branch to deliver the annual STEAM program for local 5th-grade girls, called STEAM Girls Count, in 2023. This program is designed to inspire girls to pursue education and careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, and to teach them that the arts are part of, and not apart from STEM. Working with Collier County Public Schools and New Horizons, 250 local girls were served in 2023. The Greater Naples AAUW Charitable Foundation, Inc. supports the program, which includes:
- Two STEM project kits/experiments to complete at home
- The book, Girls Think of Everything, written and signed by Kathleen Thimmesh, about women scientists and inventors; and
- Access to professionally produced videos of local women in STEAM careers, together with their biographies;
- Safety goggles and feedback forms; and
- Tote bags bearing the FGCU logo.
Click HERE to see the videos of local women in STEAM fields:
95% of the girls said that the STEAM Girls Counts Program inspired them to want to learn more about STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) and STEAM careers.
We are deeply grateful to the generous donors for this program, including: Recurrent lead donor, Arthrex; Collier County Public Schools, Southwest Florida Women Giving Together, and Florida Gulf Coast University.
Thank you for investing in the futures of local girls!!
If you are interested in helping the Foundation support this important Branch program, contributions may be made by check payable to “Greater Naples AAUW Charitable Foundation, Inc,” and mailed to Greater Naples AAUW Charitable Foundation, Inc., PO Box 9742, Naples, FL 34101, or via the “Donate” button https://greaternaples-fl.aauw.net/greater-naples-aauw-charitable-foundation/
The Greater Naples AAUW Charitable Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) public charity (EIN 59-3704754), regulated by the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Registration No. CH 13573. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA (1-800-435-7352). or https://csapp.800helpfla.com/CSPublicApp/CheckACharity/CheckACharity.aspx.. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
The Branch is also grateful for:
- The amazing women who generously contributed their time and talent to mentor young women via the STEAM Girls Count videos.
- The continued support of the Collier County Public Schools, the Fifth-grade teachers and Assistant Principals of the Collier County Public Elementary Schools and especially that of Lindy George, who worked so diligently to ensure that this program went forward for the girls.
- The continued support of New Horizons; and
- Kathleen Thimmesh, author of Girls Think of Everything, who signed the bookplates for all 195 books.
Many thanks to Charmaine Klein, 26th Annual STEAM Program Committee Chair, the whole committee: Nancy Beights, Laura Candris, Linda Gloner, Judith MacGregor, Carol Siwinski, Jacky Territo, and Roberta Zimmerman, and the many Branch members who volunteered for assembly and delivery.